Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Baseline

Context:
It is the hardest thing in the world to change, really change.

Sometimes I think it is because we so often define our expectations based upon labels.
So if you're in one camp, you're "okay"; and anyone not in that camp is "wrong".
... as if labels meant anything except an opportunity to feel safe.

Sometimes I think it is because we are confused or afraid of the full-identity commitment.
We get used to being old, angry, frail, hated, whatever ... and that skin feels comfortable.
Even if we actually hate it.

To become something or someone else requires an understanding that your nature is ... misaligned.
And so this comes with its own fear - what if a head-down approach to changes misses something?


The best way to change is to have an objective guide outside of yourself providing feedback.
Best case scenario, this guide would need to be perpetually available, be as committed to your change (or more so) than you, have a clear understanding about the direction you OUGHT to be growing/changing, and be aware when the rate at which your changing is not healthy.

Because change that comes too fast or too slow can be its own death knell.

I want to be better ... and that requires change.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legend:
I intend to set a SMART goal that captures the kind of better I'd like to be.
That is, establish a measurable, specific goal that can be accomplished within a known time window.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Declaration:
By 08 October 2016 (95 days) I want to be a better Christian, by evidencing improvement along all 12 of the City Life Pathways.

Anticipation:
I anticipate I will observe improvements as a spouse, a parent, an offspring, and as an individual

Measurement:
I will establish a baseline along each of the 12 pathways (to be able to recognize improvements).

Feedback:
After establishing a baseline I will focus on one pathway each week; and, presuming I'm faithful, I'll document my state here on these pages.  If nothing else, I hope that whoever reads this is able to grow closer to Christ.

Ballast:
Additionally, I'll do my best to document habits, mental tendencies, and hobbies that detract from my ability to succeed in each domain. I commit to either completely replacing or pausing any that earnestly detract from successfully bearing fruit.  And throughout I will be asking God to guide me. Cause change is hard.  But God is greater

    No comments:

    Post a Comment